Monday, August 10, 2009

Coursework Interpretation

Geotechnical Engineering has become a topic of keen interest for me now due to the way that everything learnt about rock and soil has come cleanly together for a good body of knowledge and understanding for practical use.

It is interesting that originally the first thoughts of retaining soil was something that I thought was not calculated but just estimated, yet this course and ones previously have taught me that there are much greater forces that apply within the ground than earlier anticipated.

I feel that the coursework is interesting and I enjoy what I am learning, if there is anything that I could change within this field of work is the use of practical experience. Something as simple as working out the stability of a surface from start to finish as an engineer would using Australian Standards and what might be expected of us as an engineer, similar to what selected students were expected to do last semester. By doing this, i think that we could get a better indication in what areas we might want to pursue within civil engineering.

No comments:

Post a Comment